Blog Archive

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Dadisms...

Dadism:  "Have I ever told you girls about the time..."

I can't tell you how many times my dad started a story like that.  And it always involved some trouble  he and his buddies got into growing up.  Since dad was an Army brat, he and his family traveled and lived all over the world... to include Germany, Hawaii, and Japan.  They'd just moved to Japan when a little girl accidentally dropped a metal bar on top of my father's right hand, permanently severing the tips of each finger off on that hand.  He said he was so disoriented, in pain, and in shock (not to mention brand-new to the country and post), it took forever for him to find the right house.  When he finally found his mother, the doctors were afraid he was going to die because he'd lost that much blood.  Then there was the time he broke his collar bone.  And the time he broke his arm.  And his nose... a couple of times.  He was always climbing, falling, or getting into something.  Dad said as soon as he woke up in the morning, he left the house and returned only when he had to.

Although the quality of these pictures is poor (they're photographs of photographs), there is no mistaking how much James and Peter look like my father I think!

Tell me that doesn't look like
Peter sitting on those steps!

Diane, Grandma Billie, Great-Grandma Henrietta,
Great-Grandpa Eugene, Dolores, and James...
I mean, my dad.  ;)

My father and his sisters...
again, the resemblance to James is uncanny I think!

Diane, Dad (Randy), and Dolores

I could definitely do without any bodily harm, of course, but I love the energy and spunk my dad passed along to our boys!

2 comments:

  1. I love those pictures of Dad- he looks so cute and feisty, and such a spitting images of James and Pete!!

    There was also the time he got his arm caught and twisted in the washer...And I remember he was on a carousel when the girl dropped the crank to stop it, severing Dad's fingers (*shudder* poor guy..).


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these pictures! It is amazing how much James and Peter look like your Dad!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.