Blog Archive

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wednesday...

I started volunteering at the boys' school again today.  Like last year, my goal is to volunteer every Wednesday morning from 9:30-12:30 while Peter is in preschool.  This first Wednesday, I helped out in James's classroom.  I love his teacher, Mrs. Roberts.  She could easily be a friend on the "outside." ;)  James is having a bit of a hard time adjusting this year.  His best friend, Nicolas, moved to California over the summer.  His good friend, Ashton, started the year in his class but moved last week.  And the other kids in his class are… an interesting bunch.  They really are (insert eyes-opened-strained-face emoticon here).  That being said, I wish I could do James justice in explaining who I see when I observe him in school.  He is quiet, confident, poised, alert, focused.  It's remarkable how much more mature James seems when I look around and compare him to his peers (at least at this elementary school).  Clearly I am his mother, and obviously biased, but I gotta tell you… it's the truth.  The exact same sentiments are uttered every year from his teachers.  This year is no different.  "James is always the one I turn to.  He's so respectful and responsible." Mrs. Roberts told me today.  "When we're walking down the hallway, I almost always have James lead the class.  And he always stops when someone walks in front of him to allow them to go first."  When I was in the lunch room, James's second grade teacher, Mrs. Sanders, came over and gave me a big hug.  "Oh, how I miss James!" she immediately said.  I know in my heart what a wonderful boy he is, but it feels so good to hear James's teachers recognize him for it as well.

And then.  There's Henry.  I found this paper today-- folded, wet, smushed at the bottom of his back pack…
And what does that letter, addressed to Henry's parents, found by the VICE PRINCIPAL on the BUS FLOOR say???  

It's an invitation for Henry to participate in Discovery Challenge.  The advanced learning group.  For the smart kids. 

Sigh…

You feel my pain.

…….right?!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh how I love those boys!

    Give James an extra squeeze from me for being such a sweetheart. :) (and hilarious Henry) (and 'lil man).

    I wish James could have more friends in his class. That's a long day without... Put him on a plane to SF asap xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure can be just as hard to be the one left behind...as the one who had to move away.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.