Blog Archive

Monday, December 17, 2012

Dadisms...

Dadisms:  Go outside.

Growing up, my father was always outside on the weekends.  He washed and waxed Slick, his red Honda Civic, all of the time.  I mean allofthetime.  I'll never forget the time I "mistakenly" drove the car through the drive-through car wash in high school.  Even though I was dressed to go out for the night, my dad made me rewash and wax the car before leaving.  I wish I was kidding.  ;)

Dad also enjoyed doing yard work and teaching us how to sweep the clippings.  "Sweep down wind, Beth.  Honestly.  This should not be this hard.  Let me show you again."  He'd say as he'd grab the broom from my hands and show me again how to briskly sweep the freshly-cut grass off of the side walk and driveway.

My parents' first home, 5911 Rayburn Drive, was a special one.  They brought my sister, Megan, and I home from the hospital to that home.  It sat across the street from our very first friends, Christina and Jillian Fields.  And in the back yard, in a clearing in the woods, my dad built my sister and I a park.  A real park!   It had a wobbly bridge, a swing, a path, a balance beam, and tons of play space for our endless energy.  We loved it.  The only sad part is that we don't have any pictures of it.  I wish we did.  I'd love to look at it again.

At the entrance to the park he built, was a wooden sign Dad had made.  It read:  "I linger yet with nature and learn the language of another world."  Beautiful, isn't it?

This was us, then...


3 comments:

  1. Don't forget the barrel turned on its side with a wooden beam across the top for a seesaw. :) How are there no photos of the park?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What special days and very special moments....the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are such wonderful thoughts to share about you growing up and of course of your Dad...I know that the boys will enjoy reading them when they are older.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.