Blog Archive

Friday, March 15, 2013

Take just a minute...

and open up this link.  I bet there is at least one (if not several) food items you may purchase regularly from this list when grocery shopping.  Kind of scary!

What's in our food?

What's frustrating, in my opinion, is how time-consuming and difficult grocery shopping can be with the boys in tow and how, even when I try to buy healthy food, the food industry tricks me with labels like "all-natural" and "healthy," when the food is anything but that.

I try to go grocery shopping on the weekends, when Chris is home to watch the kids, but that's just not always practical.  So while I have one eye on Peter (who is literally running up and down the aisles), I gather up all of the obviously healthy foods the boys will eat (which is any-and-every-thing in the fruit department), all of the salad ingredients Chris and I eat regularly, Greek yogurt and local milk from the dairy department, and then I quickly try to find a few of the healthiest items I can find from the center store aisles, knowing this is where the junk food lives.  But let's be real, the boys will try to hurt me in my sleep if I take all of the junk food away.

It does seem to help to just not have the unhealthy "culprits" in the house (for the boys and myself!).  The less they (I mean, we) see it, the less we want it... at least that's the goal.  Our supply of lunch-sized chip bags is slowly dwindling and I told the boys "When they're done, they're done!"  I did find frozen, all-white meat chicken strips coated with whole wheat flour (at the commissary) and they were a huge hit.

I just can't wait for the day when the boys are willing to try new foods and finally realize that they taste good!!

A few pictures...

The granola we made--
complete with chia seeds, dried apricots/ prunes/ raisins
and flax seed!  Yum!

James and Henry outside a
local farmer's market, eating apples.

Baking with Coconut Oil now...

Did you know that regular Triscuits
are a whole food, with only 3 ingredients?
Whole grain wheat, oil, and salt!

And... in other news... we're getting ready to add a new "family member" sometime soon!  (No, no... no more babies.  Well, I'd love to adopt an Asian daughter but Mean Chris won't let us.  I digress...)  I'll be back soon with details... start guessing!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.