Blog Archive

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Inch by inch...

So I wouldn't say we're anywhere near "processed-food-free" but we're making big strides.  I think we're healthy eaters to begin with, but I've really started to focus more on cooking with whole foods, paying more attention to how many ingredients are in a particular food (less than 5 is best) and worry less about fat grams or calories (which used to be my priority).  I've donated the three boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese I'd had in the back of the pantry for awhile after reading about the terrible additives they use to make that orange-y color the kids are drawn to.   Yikes!

If you are at all interested in trying them yourself, Henry and I have made several new recipes including...

Zucchini Muffins

And this granola was a big hit... (Apparently Cortney's son, Nicolas, even tried to smuggle it into his bedroom to eat one night!)

Granola

This Chicken and Brown Rice soup is on the stove for tonight's dinner right now...

Chicken and Brown Rice Soup

Have the boys eaten every new recipe?  No.  But they've tried a ton of new things since we've started this "whole food diet."  And I'm reading more of the ingredient lists to find foods that are made up of words we can pronounce and understand.

Perhaps the biggest switch for me?  Trying to get rid of using my beloved Coffee Mate vanilla creamer.  Don't even bother turning the creamer over... there's nothing healthy for you in there.  Natural Coffee Creamer  So I've switched to Coconut milk.  I wish I could learn to drink it black since that really is the healthiest option, but I'm just not there yet.  And since coffee itself is a antioxidant powerhouse and absolute necessity in my day, coconut milk it is.  :)

So there you have it... a few new recipes we've tried this week.  Send some good ones our way!
______________________________________________________________

*Here is a little food for thought (baddump-bump!)...

Don't eat anything your great grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.  --Michael Pollen

You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces-- just good food from fresh ingredients.  --Julia Child

Get people back into the kitchen and combat the trend toward processed food and fast food.  --Andrew Weil

One cannot think well, love well, or sleep well, if one has not dined well.  --Virginia Woolf

If we're not willing to settle for junk living, we certainly shouldn't settle for junk food.  --Sally Edward

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great! And hilarious, Nico.. :)

    That cookie recipe you sent was amazing! I kept wondering when I could have another. I used 3 very ripe bananas, 1+ cup quick oats, 1/4 walnuts and 1/4 mini chocolate chips. 15 mins at 350. I know the chocolate isn't allowed but damn they were good. Next time we'll swap that out with raisins.

    I bet you could have brought the Kraft back to Safeway or wherever and told them you didn't want that crap in your kids anymore and they'd hear you and ban it from their stores! (maybe)

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have wondered how this process is going for you. So glad that you updated!

    I have been making quite an effort as well especially with snacks and lunches. I feel like we do a pretty good job with dinners and breakfasts. But since the kids generally don't like any dinner I make lunch is more or less their 'break'. Sigh. As you said, inch by inch.

    Personally, I am having a hard time getting rid of white flour and white sugar when I bake. Have you made this jump?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Midberrys! Such a big undertaking. It requires so much energy on top of everything you have on your proverbial plate already. I wish I was able to say we were attempting to eliminate processed foods.

    Some other tips/thoughts, first, in the summer we have always had a community garden plot (gave it up this year because we are moving), where we grow our own veggies - tomatoes, carrots, chard, beets, etc.... A huge hit with my kids, every time we went to the garden to pick our veggies they ended up eating a bunch - double win, teaching them about growing local food AND eating healthy. I have seen your yard and this is totally feasible for you all. You just will need to build raised beds (just google it). As for food, Mae is some weird child who when given the choice of having a fat laden muffin/donut will pick a banana (yes, this happened the other day) and she eats grape tomatoes like they are grapes. Weird child. That is not to say she won't down a whole box of Kraft Mac and Cheese - although I mix peas in to make myself feel better.

    As for recipes, like you, I cook every night. Funny because I make a ton of chicken and rice soup, especially after we had roasted chicken for dinner. Can't wait to hear how it goes over. Since my kids love rice so I make a lot of fried rice. They get veggies (whatever I have on hand, just make sure to cut it small), a protein (generally stick to chicken or tofu and egg), and a good carb (brown rice). I know the soy might not be ideal but I use a little bit for flavor. Another go to recipe is Pioneer Woman's Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/01/chicken-tortilla-soup/ As for canned beans/tomatoes/veggies there is the whole concern with that. If you care, you can always cook your beans in a crockpot and store them in the freezer to use for later. I also make calzones (make the dough myself by using half wheat/half white flour - can send you super easy recipe if you want). Then stuff them with ricotta, mozarella, and veggies. I also make a quick marinara sauce. Jarred tomato sauce is laden with sugar generally (that is not to say that I don't use it). Here is an interesting read about it. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/24/magazine/the-extraordinary-science-of-junk-food.html?_r=0

    Ok, I think I have written enough. I probably could go on annoyingly for days about what we eat. I am always happy to send you a menu for the week of what we are having if you are interested. I would love to say we don't eat processed food but that is NOT my reality now and unfortunately I enjoy McDonalds a little too much myself :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.