Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dadisms...

"No good deed goes unpunished" I must have heard my father say 100 times growing up.  I never really understood it.

Until now.

At my insistence encouragement, our family has been going to church again.  We've been going nearly every Sunday for several months now so when the Children's Director stood up a few weeks ago and asked the congregation for volunteers I said, "Yes, I will help in the children's rooms during service one or two times a month."

And then when the Children's Director called me a few days later asking if I'd be a teacher in the classroom, I didn't hesitate.  "Yes, I will be a rotating teacher in the children's classroom one or two times a month."

And when she asked me to volunteer more like 2-3 times a month, I said, "Yes.  I will volunteer two or three times a month."

And when the Children's Director said I had to go to a mandatory training to teach 2-8 year olds, I said, "Yes, I will go and listen to you tell me how to talk with children" [when the better part of my LIFE has been teaching, helping, babysitting, and mothering children].

And when the Director calls regularly to ask me church-related questions, I do my best to answer and control the chaos around me and sound upbeat and excited to help out.  Because really I am.  I am happy to help out.  (Less excited about her regular phone calls, but happy to be a volunteer.)

But today???  Today when she called me WHILST I was helping and doing my part to be Godly/friendly/ neighborly babysitting the 3rd different child of the day (That's right.  I watched two of my friend, Summer's, children this morning from 7am-9am and then my neighbor's son, Tucker, from 12-3pm) to gingerly ask me where I was last Sunday (um... in the Red room, helping out as assigned) and went on to mention that next week she'd like to "meet with me after church to discuss my intentions because in the past they've had volunteers who weren't quite committed enough and she wanted to be sure I was," I about hung up on her.

Dad, you were so right.  NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, I can hear dad chuckling :) Good girl you are, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you share all the every day things that remind you of your dad.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.