Blog Archive

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Surprise!

It rained all day yesterday.  After going to the gym and library, I was trying to come up with an activity for Peter and I to do since he's only in school Tu-Wed-Th.  I asked Peter if he'd like to surprise the big boys and have lunch with them.  Of course he said yes!  We ran home, packed a lunch, and drove up to school.

Looking like this, I should confess…
…only to find Henry at a circle table, not the traditional rectangle ones.  

"Hey babe!  We decided to surprise you for lunch!!"  Henry literally jumped into my arms, completely excited to see us.  

"Why are you at this circle table today?"
Wait for it…. he was on SILENT LUNCH.  For talking too much at circle time with these other clowns.
Sigh.  Right.  Third week of school and Henry's take-home binder has sported 2-3 "talkative" notes home.  And one note from the bus driver for "play fighting with Jonathan," reminding us all that "riding a school bus is a privilege, not a right."  But he's so damn HAPPY to go to school.  His teacher, Ms. Dyer, came over as soon as she saw me, I think to apologize.

"Listen," I told her, "if he's on Silent Lunch, he's on Silent Lunch.  Don't feel badly for putting him there."  Ms. Dyer went on to say how very bright Henry is, that he's a typical 1st grade boy who gets to talking and being silly with his friends and then can't settle back down to listen.  All of which I am well aware of.

Now having us at lunch made it a considerably less quiet table.  See that cute little red head on the right?  Her name, she told me in a series of questions and answers, is Clara Beth.  She talks a lot.  Her mom tells her not to but she still does.  She wondered if maybe I was ever on silent lunch for talking too much.  To which I naturally replied:  ME!??!  Talk too much!?  Haha…

A quick scan of the lunch room and I am still beyond grateful these are our challenges.  I will take my silly motor-mouth and be even more thankful he's ours.

Forecast for the evening… torrential downpour and….

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. It's always my best laugh of the day and happiest moment visualizing the event! I can't image Henry's surprise seeing you appear while he's at the Silent Table. Priceless. Enjoy all these wonderful moments and the memories you're making. I think my boys are Perfectly Perfect!! XO Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is right. I love reading your blog to. I love reading about your boys' antics and watching them grow. And the silent table...awesome!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.