Blog Archive

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Berenstain Bear time...

Last night when I was making dinner, I cut into a perfectly perfect looking red pepper...
 only to discover THIS in the inside…ick!
And then it occurred to me that this could be a teaching moment for the boys about how you can't judge a book by it's cover because this seemingly "ugly" banana...
was totally perfect on the inside…
It's funny how interested they were in this little talk and made me show them the fruit over and over again.  (Each boy also wanted to then eat an "ugly" banana which is always good too!)  We talked about how sometimes people can be the same way… that just because they don't look like everyone else or may not have fancy clothes or be disabled or disfigured, it doesn't mean that their heart isn't good on the inside.  And vice versa, it doesn't mean we should trust everything/ everyone that looks perfect on the outside.  We still have to be prudent and smart about the decisions we make, even if everything "looks good."

Really I should thank Stan and Jan Berenstain because all good and true and honest lessons start with them!  I'm so grateful my mom saved all of our old books because we read them every night.
For reference, this is the one that
speaks about not judging a book by its cover.



2 comments:

  1. Good one, ma! Also good is the biography on Stan + Jan. It's called Down A Sunny Dirt Road... you might like it. they're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of my favorite stories of theirs! I do like the meanings of their stories...but my, some nights they are way to verbose! And I find myself ad-libbing many of the pages. Too bad my girls can catch me now. "Read it right!!! They say!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.