Blog Archive

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Preschool Madness...

I just wanted to take a minute to vent about finding the "right" preschool for Henry next fall.  My goodness is it tough!  There are about 100 in town to pick from... literally, it seems.  Most offer classes M-Th from 9-12.  Some offer an option of paying extra for a "lunch bunch" so they stay until 1:00pm.  (Duh.)  The school Henry is currently attending is one of the few that goes from 9:00-1:00 daily and he brings his lunch.  Henry loves feeling like a big boy with his lunch box so that's been great.  The "problem" with the school is that I think they spend too much time coloring, watching movies (what?) and going over things Henry already knows (the alphabet, numbers, etc).  Look... I get that we're not prepping him for Harvard (truly, I do), but Henry is very bright and could use a more challenging curriculum.  Plus, we're paying for it so I think it makes sense to shop around.  There are several schools I'm considering for next school year and of course everyone I speak to has a different opinion.  Of the people I've encountered, many have great things to say about Village Christian Academy.  It's the most expensive (around $375/ month I think) but I hear the curriculum and staff make it worthwhile.  At soccer last night, one of the moms sent her son there when he was a preschooler and just loved it.  The other mom was considering switching her son from Fayetteville Academy (incidentally where the boys practice) because they're spending $13,000 a YEAR for her 4th grader and don't really see commensurate results.  Huh.  I will say the director of the program (at Village) was incredibly open and forth coming and when I called to set up an appointment to view the school she said, "Anytime we're open, you're welcome" which made me feel good.  True to her word, we stopped by yesterday at 10:00 and she dropped everything she was doing to show us around.  And, considering both Henry and Peter acted like two caged animals the entire time (I wanted to snatch Henry under the arm and tell him to KNOCK IT OFF but of course he probably would've screamed, "Owww!  You hurrrrt me!" and embarrassed me more.)  Even during their rambunctious display, the director found them endearing.  Huh.  One other great thing is that they have a few openings left so my girlfriend, Cortney, arriving in June, could sign her daughter, Gabby, up as well if she was interested.  Many of the other schools already have a wait list and it would be so nice for Henry and Gabby to be together again (they were best buds at West Point) and of course, a carpool is always a bonus.  Are you thinking what I'm thinking??  That I just figured this out?  Huh.  Me too...


PS.  Okay, but those of you who really know me know that I'm still going to call around and visit the other schools probably.  Hee hee....

Perhaps I should use this picture of the boys with underwear on their heads for the application...


1 comment:

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.