Blog Archive

Monday, June 25, 2012

Clearly we are crazy...

And by we, I mean... my mom.  :)  I should back track.  My mom flew down on Saturday to see us this week!  We were very excited for her to get here.  Here are the boys waiting for her flight to arrive...


James and Ninja Henry

Since I have been complaining about the boys not having anything to do in our backyard, my mom offered to buy the boys something fun.  Originally she bought them a play set at Sam's Club.  After we checked out the manager informed us that it's $600+ to have it delivered and installed.  Whaaat??  That's crazy.  So, we returned the play set.  We checked out a few more places before deciding to get a play house at Costco.  Except that Costco is an hour and a half away.  But, we decided it was worth it and loaded everyone up and got there early this morning.  Except this particular Costco was out of them.  (Yes, yes, I should've called ahead to verify they had the houses in stock.  Crap!)  But the boys saw a see-saw airplane that seats 7 children.  "We want it!!  We love it!!  We neeeeeed it!!"  "Yes," mom said, "Let's get it.  And let's drive the 20 minutes to the Durham Costco to check out the play house which the sales clerk said is currently on sale."   Sale!?  Did someone say SALE??  Mom was sold.  Off we went.  Except 20 minutes was really more like 45 minutes away.

One hot dog, 3 ice creams, 1 frozen mocha, this play house, and we were off to check out...

And then reality hit.  The trunk was already filled with the huge airplane box.  Crap!  But wait!  "I think our seats fold away" I told the teenage guys who were going to lift the enormous box.  Shew.  As it turned out, some of what Chris told me about the car actually sunk in.  (Must be by some passive osmosis process because I can assure you I wasn't actively listening when he told me about the fold-away capability.)   At any rate, after several minutes of jiggling the boxes around, both fit.  Well, "fit" as in twine made them fit.  Which also meant James's seat didn't.  So he rode up front with me and my poor sweet mother rode on the floor in between Peter and Henry's carseat.  For two hours.

And then reality hit.  Someone has to put these things together.  Crap!  "Oh, it'll be fine.  It'll be fun!" my mom said.  Hmmm... the boys wanted us to put the airplane together first.  We left our house at 9am today, got home at 4pm, and worked from 4pm until 9pm on the airplane... not to mention that it was 100 degrees here today and we assembled it outside.





We probably have half of it put together.  The first one.  But then we have that house to assemble.  The house that comes with 41 pages of directions.  It's a good thing I really, really love my mom.  Okay... and I really, really want the boys to have something to play with outside.  But damn!  Couldn't we have just gotten 3 of these bears and called it a DAY??!!  


3 comments:

  1. Alison K. CummingsJune 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

    Your mom is a stud. Now that $600 for delivery and install doesn't seem so bad now, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom sounds like a hero, not crazy!! Glad you all got something for the yard.... and that I just squeaked outta there and don't have to build it. Have fun kiddos! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen Alison!

    I am cracking up that your mom sat on the floor...a saint I tell you! Amazing. Hope you had a bottle of wine to end the evening with.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.