Blog Archive

Thursday, January 24, 2013

A busy afternoon...

I'm not sure why some afternoons become crazier than others, but yesterday was a prime example of crazytown.

I offered to bring dinner to one of my girlfriends at Henry's preschool last night.  Her 6-month old son, Luke, had brain surgery one week ago.  His scar runs the entire length of his head, from one ear to the other.  Thank GOD he is healing remarkably well (and the surgery was 100% corrective).

I had just finished making the meal for Brooke and her family so I was trying to round up the kids and usher everyone out to the car to deliver it.  My sweet friend, Brittany, said I could drop the big boys off to play while I took the meal over.  I walked outside with the hot food in my hands and was startled to see Gabby, Cortney's daughter, talking to a man in our driveway.  The man could tell how concerned and upset I was about a strange man in our yard, talking to her, when he said, "Oh... I was just asking her where her mother is and she pointed up the street."  Of course he thought Gabby was mine since she came out of the house with us.  He quickly introduced himself as Roger Hobbs, the man who owns this house we're living in.  Sigh... I do not have time to do an unannounced walk-through of the house I was thinking!  Fortunately he was very friendly, didn't ask to do a walk-through, but stayed for at least 10 minutes chit-chatting.  After he left I scrambled to buckle Pete (that's become a fun chore lately... wrestling a 35 pound baby into his car seat!) and drop the big boys off at Brittany's for a little bit.

Unfortunately Brooke's address didn't pop up in our GPS so it took a bit longer than expected to find her house.  But I finally arrived, dropped the meal off, got to see baby Luke (what a doll!), and remind myself how fragile and precious life is.

Peter and I drove back to Brittany's house to pick up the big boys.  But not two minutes after Peter and I arrived, THIS happened...


Honestly!  Although I missed the actual fall, I think he was trying to ride on Clayton's scooter.  Poor baby.  :(  All of a sudden he started crying and blood was EVERYWHERE.  All over him.  All over me.  Pouring out of his mouth.  I thought for sure he was going to need stitches.  Fortunately Brittany is a nurse and calmly suggested we go inside for a bit.  She gave him a popsicle (which he refused initially then came to his senses) and he started to calm down.  The bleeding slowed and he seemed a little better.  I gave him some Tylenol when we got home and he went to bed easily.  He's still asleep this morning so I'm not sure what his mouth will look like today.

Boys.  Sweet, crazy baby boys.  Sometimes I don't think my heart can handle all of it.

2 comments:

  1. Wow... Quick healing wishes for baby Luke (and sweetie Pete). XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! You are right about life as a mom of boys...they are so much different and consequently, with all of their bumps and bruises, cause so much worry in these reckless young years! I hope he's back to terrorizing you this morning!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.