Blog Archive

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Okay, NOW I'm losing my patience...

Chris is currently stuck at Fort Polk, Louisiana (with about 700 other soldiers) because of weather conditions.  And by "weather conditions," I mean the 3 inches of snow and ice the South received.  But if you've turned on the news any time over the last few days, you've seen how completely crazy it's been down here with all of the school closings, road blockages, highway accidents, and deserted cars.  It's NUTS.

The chartered buses started bringing soldiers back from Ft. Polk on Tuesday.  The first two movements of buses finally reached Fort Bragg on Wednesday and early this morning.  Thank God.  And we always knew Chris would be on the last bus out… but it's a 20 HOUR bus ride, without traffic.  And now the buses want out of their contract because of the long drives, weather conditions, etc.  Which leaves Chris-- and oh by the way, 700 soldiers-- maybe without a means of getting home.

I'm sorry.  WHAT?????

I want to scream.  I'm pretty certain Chris wants to scream.  He likens Polk, which has completely shut down due to the weather, as "a prison, babe.  This place is like a prison."

Do these bus drivers know he is leaving for Afghanistan in about 2 weeks?  He was supposed to be home today!  He was supposed to be hanging out with me and the boys, enjoying a four-day weekend with us.  Instead, we're not even sure he'll leave tomorrow.  For the 20+ hour bus ride.  Which means he'll miss most of another weekend.  And James's basketball game and Henry's basketball camp.

And I already know what I'll hear… "I know I should have off, babe, but I can't.  We're leaving in X days and there are things I just HAVE to do before then."  Which I get.  I get it.  But that means we'll miss out on these supposed "days off."

I don't usually complain about Army stuff.  But this just sucks.

I miss him.  And the boys miss him a lot.

In the meantime, the boys are enjoying their 3rd snow day in a row (ahhh!) and I'm doing my best to do the same.

Fingers crossed for willing bus drivers, safe roads, and sunshine to melt those "treacherous" 2 inches!  ;)

2 comments:

  1. OH my God. I'm so sorry! That totally sucks- and just so unfair. :(( What a huge test of patience. You can (all) do it! Love you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe how well you have handled all of this so far. I would have complained the entire time and I would have lost my patience about two weeks ago, you are always so positive and upbeat about it all. You are truly amazing! Hopefully you all are able to get some much needed quality family time before Chris has to leave again. And even though I live forever away, let me know if you need anything…xoxo.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a stay-at-home mom to 3 energetic, funny, sweet, and crazy boys. I married my best friend, Chris, and love our life together. The Army is sending him overseas soon so I thought this blog would be a great way for him (and the grandparents!) to keep up with our hectic life. Unfortunately the Army keeps us too far from family and most of our friends so hopefully this will help us stay connected.